Through the Agricultural Land Preservation Program, the district works with local farmers, the Lebanon County Commissioners, and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Farmland Preservation, to help preserve farmland in Lebanon County.
By voluntarily selling or donating agricultural conservation easements, the landowner prevents development of the land for purposes other than agricultural production, while retaining ownership.
Landowners who prefer a non-profit approach to preserving agricultural lands should contact the Lebanon Valley Conservancy, Inc.
Benefits of Farmland Preservation
- Protects land for future farm generations.
- Maintains agriculture, which employs 2 out of every 5 people in Lebanon County.
- Ensures farming is more affordable for future generations.
- Assures that land is available to produce our food supply.
- Keeps demand for public services lower, and taxes needed to support these services lower.
- Encourages soil and water conservation.
- Preserves farm culture.
- Retains open space, aesthetics and quality of life.
- Qualifies eligible farms for potential tax incentive. Please check with your accountant.
Requirements for Lebanon County Ag. Preservation Program
The farmland tract must:
- Be located in your municipality’s Agricultural Security Area.
- Contain at least 50% of soils which are available for agricultural production and are of capability classes I-IV.
- Contain 50% harvested crop land, pasture lands or grazing lands.
- Be at least 50 contiguous acres in size unless a minimum of 10 acres is of a unique crop or adjoining an attached perpetual agricultural conservation easement.
Farmland Preservation Facts
Total Number of Easements: 161
Total Acres of Farmland Preserved: 17,774.81 acres
Data by Municipality
Data current as of March 1, 2015
|Out of County||101.92|
Note: Some farms cross municipal boundaries. Where this happens the easement is only counted once in the municipality with the most acreage.
*ACE = Agricultural Conservation Easement
Angie Foltz or Charles Wertz
Farmland Preservation Appeal
Appeal runs from 2/1/14 through 1/31/15
2015 Pledges and donations......$133,029
You to the County Commissioners,
local municipalities, and individuals who have generously pledged/donated
Lebanon County Farmland Preservation Program.
ACRES OF FARMLAND PRESERVED IN LEBANON COUNTY
consider making a donation to preserve Lebanon County Farmland.
Checks can be made payable to LCCD. ( List "Farm Preservation"on the memo line) or call the office to make a credit card payment (Visa/Mastercard/Discover accepted)
* * * * * * * * *
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY
With one click you can...
* Protect and Conserve Lebanon County Farmland for the Future
* Educate people about Lebanon County Natural Resources
all it costs to protect a square foot of precious
Lebanon County Farmland FOREVER!
THE LEGACY YOU LEAVE:
Improved Water Quality
Increased Water Quantity
Protection of our Agricultural Hertiage
Reduced Harmful Impacts of Stormwater
Provides Agricultural Related Jobs
Enhanced Wildlife Resources
Improved Quality of Life
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~